Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hump Day Happiness Ta Dah

Happy Wednesday! I've been working my fingers to the bone trying to get a pattern refined and written up to post. I'm excited because it's technically my first pattern. The inception of the pattern was this weekend when I bought some half pint wide mouth Ball jars for use as holders of a recipe that I found on FaveCrafts for homemade hand scrub.  I had to spruce up the jar right? :o)

So my Half Pint Cover was born. (It looks like Blogger is giving me a hard time this morning....if this pattern appears wonky please forgive.) The green and orange cover was the first one I made and to tell you the truth the first pattern for this is different than the pattern written below. The pink cover is the pattern below. I tried to consolidate it down to be easier to read and execute. (I had a hard time reading and following my own instructions)

Half Pint Cover
Intermediate

What you will need:
#3 thread - your desired color
E (4-3.50 mm) hook
C (2-2.75 mm) hook
1 - 8oz. half pint wide mouth jar (I used Ball)


Stitches used - ch, sc, dc, dc2tog, sc2tog
ch 3 counts as a double crochet stitch
ch 1 counts as sc



Using E hook - ch 4 & join.
1) Ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, *(3 dc, ch 2)* 3 times around. Join in second ch of ch 3. (12 dc & 4 ch 2)


2) Ch 3, dc in next 2 st, *(2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch 2 sp, dc in next 3 st* around. Join in second ch of ch 3. (28 dc)


3) Ch 3, dc in next 4 st, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch 2 sp, *dc in next 7 st, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc)* 3 times around, dc in last 2 st. Join in second ch of ch 3. (44 dc)


4) Ch 3, dc in next 6 st, (2 dc, ch 2, 2dc) in ch 2 sp, *dc in next 11 st, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc)* 3 times around, dc in last 4 st. Join in second ch of ch 3.(60 dc)


5) Ch 3, dc in next 8 st, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch 2 sp, *dc in next 15 st, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc)* 3 times around, dc in last 6 st. Join in second ch of ch 3. (76 dc)


6) Ch 1, sc in next 10 st, 4 sc in ch 2 sp, *sc in next 19 st, 4 sc in ch 2 sp,* 3 times around, sc in last 8 st. Join to ch 1. (92 sc)


7) Change to C hook. This round only is done BLO (back loop only). Ch 1, sc in each sc around. Join in ch 1. (92 sc)

8) Ch 3, dc in next 8 st, dc2tog in next 8 st, dc in next 16 st, dc2tog in next 8 st, dc in next 14 st, dc2tog in next 8 st, dc in next 16 st, dc in next 5 st. Join in second ch of ch 3. (76 dc)


9) Ch 3, dc in next 7 st, dc2tog, dc in next 10 st, dc2tog twice, dc in next 10 st, dc2tog, dc in next 10 st, dc2tog, dc in next 10 st, dc2 tog twice, dc in next 12 st, dc2tog. Join in second ch of ch 3. (68 dc)


10) Ch 1, sc in next st, sc2tog, sc in next 4 st, sc2tog, sc, sc2tog, 5 sc sc2tog, 5 sc (21 sc at this point - right before second corner), sc2tog, sc, sc2tog, 5 sc, sc2tog, 4 sc, sc2tog, sc, sc2tog, 5 sc, sc2tog, 6 sc ( 48 sc - you should be right before the last corner), sc2tog, sc, sc2tog, 4 sc. Join to ch 1. (56 sc)


11) Ch 1, sc, sc2tog, sc 8, sc2tog, sc 6, sc2tog, sc 4, *(sc2tog, sc 5)* 3 times, sc2tog, sc 4, sc2tog, sc 1. Join in ch 1. (48 sc)


12) Ch 1, sc in each stitch. (48 sc)


13) Ch 1, sc in each stitch. Fasten off. Weave in ends. (48 sc)



It's kind of hard to get it up over the jar when you're done but if you get one side on and then slide your finger inside the finished cover and pull out a little bit you can get it to slide up on the jar. Enjoy!
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 Copyright - Hookin' It With Mr. Lick Lick/Kathy Prickett
You can use this pattern to make jar covers for your personal use, or sell jar covers but you may not sell this pattern.
 







I'm happy to be able to do this! I've used so many others' patterns for things to crochet and create. Now I can give back at least one pattern. :o) I don't think anyone that will receive these for gifts reads my blog so I am safe on that aspect. This gift will be cheap for me cost wise, will be useful to the recipient, and once the jar is empty it can be used for various storage ideas or to just sit pretty. It will also mean much more to them because I made it and made it with love.  That to me is the most important part. Isn't that what giving is all about? That it came from the heart and hands of the person giving it?

It seems that we may have dodged a bullet here in SE GA this weekend. Hurricane Irene will pass us by. I don't think NC and up the coast will be so lucky. I hope those in her path will endure her wrath and be safe. Have a great rest of the week and weekend if I don't get back to see you before then. Cya soon!
TTFN
Kat
xoxo

PS/if you have a problem with any part of the pattern just get in touch with me so I can help you or fix something that may be wrong. I'm human.....doodoo happens.

8 comments:

  1. Very nice - makes the gift extra special. Thanks for sharing your pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like a lot ! ! ! ! !

    Congratulations Miss Designer.

    Now, you ned to get it posted in ALL FREE CROCHET.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - designing your own patterns now...aren't you something! I like it too. I wonder how my husband would feel if I put one of those on his food in his lunchbox! Sometimes I pack his food in one of those jars.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Thank you for posting the pattern. These are going on my list of to-make for Christmas gifts. You're always such an inspiration to me.

    Hugs from Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think anyone receiving your gift will love it. I love homemade gifts..knowing that the person thinks that much of you while making it. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love that pattern. :) I also love your yarn color choices. :) Glad to know you all will be safe and prayers for those in the path of the hurricane. I agree with you, a gift hand made is always better than anything bought at the store. :)

    Not sure if you have seen these blog, but they also do Tunisian. I love tunisian. It's the best of both worlds. :)

    http://designingvashti.blogspot.com/

    http://kimguzman.wordpress.com/2011/07/31/tunisian-crochet-its-revolutionary/

    Blessings to you always :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you're thinking!