Thursday, March 10, 2011

Question I've Been Wanting To Ask

Ok......this has been bothering me for a long time. And it came to light when I started crocheting. My ex-boss told me I was crocheting wrong. That the way I held my hook was not correct.

I took offense to that. Why? Because in the book 'I Taught Myself To Crochet' it showed two different methods for holding your hook. You can either hold it like a pencil (which is old school method), or you can hold it like a knife.

So you know how I hold my hooks right? Supposedly the 'wrong' way. And in my defense, I have tried the 'correct' way to hold my hook. How awkward. And I tried for a while too. Until I got tired of going slow. I can do it the right way but I'm too slow at it. The reason I tried it in the first place was because it was bothering me, and my fingers and wrist were bothering me and I wondered if hooking the other way would relieve the pressure and pain. Which to my surprise, it did.

So my question to ya'll - how many of you hook the pencil way, and how many of you hook the knife way? I'm really anxious to see what the numbers are on this. I haven't seen anyplace where there was some kind of poll on this. Aren't you curious about this like I am?

I don't have anything to show you today....crochet wise that is.  I do want to show you a house that I have loved since I moved to GA. The Red Tips are bloomed and they are so pretty. I don't know exactly when this house was built but I'm guessing early 1800's since the town was incorporated in 1887. On this same road inside the city limits there are at least 10 houses that were built in the same period that are just gorgeous. I love these old houses with the wrap around porches and large bay windows in the parlor. Especially when the bay windows are on the bottom and 2nd floor stacked. I love that look.

It's hard to see the house for the landscape but isn't it pretty? This house is located about 5 miles from my house. I'd love to see the inside of it.

I hope you have a wonderful Friday Eve.
TTFN
Kat
xoxox

13 comments:

  1. I crochet the pencil way as it is more comfortable to me but I have tried the knife way to and have noticed I go way slower and it is not as comfortable to me doing it that way and so I rearly use that way......My grandmother taught me at the age of 10 to do the pencil hold and when I retaught myself a year ago at age 31 I again stuck with the pencil hold

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hold my hook like a knife. Easier for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. knife way :) And as a note, there are 3 ways total and none of them are "wrong" - and honestly, if a person could hook with their feet, I wouldn't call it wrong - I'd be impressed! (the third way is called the chopstick method).

    I wouldn't worry about it at all. If the crochet piece turns out the way its supposed to, there is no wrong way to hold your hook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hold mine the knife way. And my finished pieces look just fine, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hold my hook in the pencil hold. As long as the finished object looks okay, it doesn't really matter what way you hold the hook! Years ago I saw a short documentary about a disabled lady and she crocheted with the hook between her teeth :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to pick up the cocoon I'm working on and see h ow I hold my hook . . . I don't really hold mine either way.

    Let's see, can I explain it . . .I hold my hook between my right thumb and "pointy" finger and then balance it with the middle finger The hook sort of slides back and forth on the middle finger like a pool cue.

    That sounds so strange when I explain it . . . but I have never had any problems with pains anywhere doing it this way.

    I just tried what I think a "knife" hold would be. I felt like I was stabbing . . . it was very uncomfortable. So was the "pencil" method.

    I guess I learned how to hold my hook from my grandma or my neighbor . . .they taught me. Or, I just adapted my hold to what was comfortable for me.

    Don't worry what the "pro's" say. Just hold your hook however you feel comfortable.. I am sure that the women who "invented" crochet, whenever they started crocheting, just held it comfortably for them. Then, somewhere, someone decided to make it an "art" and said only "these holds" whatever "these holds were" were acceptable.

    I say, using the words of my Aunt Ruth, "Poopy on the professional crocheters."

    Just be comfy and crochet!

    Amen Sista'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hold mine the pencil way for regular crochet and the knife way for Tunisian. I don't think there's any right or wrong way either. Whatever works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I crochet the pencil way but agree with everyone that there's not a "right" way. I actually don't hold the yarn in my left hand "properly".

    It's the same deal as how there are lots of people who hold pens and pencils "wrong" and write just fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hold my hook the knif way. I am a self taught left hander who had to learn a million years ago from a right handed book.

    I don't believe there is a right or wrong way to hold the crochet hook, no more than I believe there is a right or wrong way to breathe. You just do what feels natural to you.

    Love the old house photos.

    Happy Friday Eve to you as well. Blessings always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hold it the "knife" way. I've never seen anyone do Paula's method, but it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I didn't know there was a "right" way and a "wrong" way to hold a hook. I had to go get my crochet hook and hook a bit to figure it out. I hold it the knife way. I say don't let it bother you and hold it in the way that works best for you. It's obviously not hindering any of your crochet work!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  12. The knife way. I've tried the pencil way, I'm way too slow with that.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you're thinking!